Thursday, August 31, 2017

What is Love?

I was watching the musical Grease again and as I watched it, I recalled a conversation a had with my mother several years ago about my unease of Sandy changing so much for her man in a way that I had deemed as inappropriate. I could appreciate Danny changing for Sandy seeing as I saw him as a rascal who needed to earn her affections but I wasn't really okay with her change. Explaining this to my mother, she explained softly that when it comes to love, both parties have to be willing to compromise and change. When it came to love, you are willing to bend your boundaries and your standards for them.

It's not one perfect person fixing one bad person... it's two broken people whose broken pieces fit together so that they can build each other up... realizing that you have to take care of yourself before you can take care of others.

I didn't really understand this until I was within my own love journey and became dissatisfied with every man that was offered to me. They weren't bad people. But they weren't people I could fix. I could not heal their brokenness... and they did not understand my heart. I became tired of explanations and trying to modify myself to their needs. It was physically tiring. I gave up and let myself be waste. After all, if I couldn't find what I was looking for, maybe it didn't exist. This pain was intentional so even though it was more extreme, I could call it mine. My choice.

I knew I found love when he found me in that low place and saw me glorified. He did not intentionally fix my hurt nor tend my wounds yet... wounds scarred and scars faded under his gaze. He called me beautiful not for my sake but as a comment of thought when I felt unworthy. He never said anything for my sake and he never lied. This was a person I could trust my thoughts, my life, my heart to. I dedicated early, 100%, and he did not reject me. Guiding, teasing, tormenting, leading. Never rejection. Never 'no'. That didn't mean 'yes'. How did he know? I didn't know myself that well yet... here I was. And his pain was mine. His heart was mine. His thoughts were mine alone to know. I brought out the man in him as he nourished the woman in me. So I could do things that I could not accomplish with any other because he gave me new strength, new confidence. I am his. His woman.

So I re-evaluated my priorities and I changed. I don't regret it. He's changed too.

No comments:

Post a Comment