Thursday, September 1, 2016

Poetry: Mantra Genius

So here we are, in this cultish setting
You dictate the day, time, hour
Okay that was a bit repetitive but
Control the finances, the location, the theme
Stating the values with no views in-between

It was decisive

Managing my affairs, my clothes, my hair
You'd tell me when to blink
No need to ask when, where
It's as set as if it was writ in dark ink

Like a blood oath there's no avoiding it
A brotherhood chosen before there was a chance to see any different
Living in a dark cave below the ocean floor
Told haunting stories of the mighty water roar

Following along because no option was told
Born to lead?
Nah, I'm strapped to the floor
No need to worry, I listen to what you say
The voices of others all get swept away

One day when you're spying
Making sure that I'm reliable
That your views have permeated inside my skull
I repeat what you have said
Time and time again

It's my personal thought, I say
I've come to a self-realization
(Not knowing it was by your dictation)
Swoop in and praise me
Tell me how proud you are that I've learned

I'm intelligent, you say
Because I live my life your way
I'm told that I'm growing, maturing
Becoming what I'm supposed to be
How should I know that I'm missing the sea?

Eventually you'll let me out of the cave
A missionary of retrieval I'll be
Take more of them back with me
Turn them into us
Let's grow our damp colony!

Out there
In the bright yellow sun
Shocked by the light never 'fore seen
It blinds me
It must be wrong!

These surface people
Tanning and dancing and laughing all day
There must be something wrong
This isn't right
This isn't how it should be

Persistently I demand them to join
Refusing to believe intelligence in their denial
I'm intelligent and I know the mantra
I repeat it
I argue for it
I can't be on the wrong side

Life in the minority
That's what Jesus called us to be!
So this opposition is just support
Everything I see further proves this point
You wouldn't lie to me

These poor others
Outside of our zone
No understanding of our varied rules
That I claim as my truth
I've obeyed since my youth

Stranger
Listen to what I say
The same words told the same way
A constant flow from us
We're pounding out this diction
Ain't no fiction
So belong to our persuasion

See me now

I fit right in

No comments:

Post a Comment