Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Poetry: Girl Made of Porcelain

I'm a girl made of porcelain
Simple as can be
You can set me on display
Or play for hours three

If you set me down
You'll not dust me
But I'll last forever
On display only watching

If you play with my body
You'll discover the hardness of my skin
But the fragility upon dropping
Only by harming me

My face is set and unchanging
If it scares you there's nothing to be done
If you think it pretty I thank you
Too often I am an object of angst

Alone on an a shelf I ponder
At the hollowness of my shell
The paint on my face that scares you
The cotton dress that feels wrong

I did not choose to made into this
I was not present at my birth
The doll that is regarded as regal
But is played with next to none

Some see me as old-fashioned
Some see me as lacking all worth
Still others just see Chucky
Or a step from foreign birthing

I've been around for a while
But I guess I'm getting more rare
When once people knew how to see me
Now there's confusion; I despair

I'm a girl made of porcelain
I know what I am
Your inexperience has not changed me
Just left cracks in my stone

I am what you see
Nothing deeper to discover
Your voyage to know me destroys me
Leaving rumble in your hands

The life I was given is not easy
But it's what I have to hold
I was created for a reason
So don't lay me in the attic alone

No comments:

Post a Comment