Saturday, October 7, 2017

My Story

I fell in love when I was 12 years old. I dated this person when I was 14 and we broke up before I turned 15. I didn’t understand my feelings for a very long time and it took me years after he was long gone for me to come to terms with what he meant to me and the damage that those feelings had caused to my mentality. He used to call us opposites and would joke that ‘opposites attract’. It was just a dumb phrase that he would say but after he left me, hearing that phrase would make my blood run cold and I would feel like crying. I’ve always said that he was dangerous for me because if he ever wanted to take me back, I’d go. Despite being against dating your ex’s, I wouldn’t be able to refuse his invitation. He owned a place in my heart that no other could ever fill and I called that place 'first love’. When I was 20 he asked for me again It had been almost exactly 6 years to the day that I once again became his girl. Full of insecurity and hesitancy, I constantly tested him with deal-breakers wondering if I’d be able to keep him for sure this time. Somehow, he passed everything that I threw at him. I’m not sure he was even aware of my dumb challenge yet… he always answered beautifully. Despite being his again, that phrase he used in the past still left a sore spot. I feared that he would use it again but when I asked him why he wanted to be with me he simply said, 'we complement each other’. A wound that I thought I would never be able to leave behind me was gone. This shift in word choice, in mentality… he was the same yet he was a man. There was no way that I was letting him leave me a second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment